A BIG day! Linkages are complete. 

What a journey this has been. Everyone I have met has told me the linkages will be my biggest hurdle. Well I am happy to say with the help from Ken, Tim, Frank, Dan, Jeff, and Ron the bike now has functional linkages. Have a look at these videos and look at the complex arrangement of these pieces. Happy we were able to save some of the original pieces. 

Control Linkage Work

Another week has gone by with a huge forward momentum! The bike has been delivered to a top secret location for a two-week vacation. During this time a lot of linkage work will be completed. Both throttle and ignition controls are operated by a series of rods and clevis that make up all the linkage. Here is the bike ready for a road trip. 


Arriving at the remote workshop we could compare a set of original linkage pieces from a different 1911 Excelsior to a completely new set for my bike. 


Quite a complicated arrangement! I am extremely lucky and grateful for true friends to make this all happen. Here is one example of an original 1911 linkage piece (on the left) and a completely new piece made by one of these guys. 


Also was able to have a look inside the ignition and cam area to discover a stamped cam gear with 1911. 


So all is moving ahead at a good pace. Stay tuned for the next update. 

Rear Tire On

Well this is coming together nicely! The rear tire and tube installed. All went smooth. There is a definite trick to installing these clinchers. After mounting tire using two tire irons, I installed new hub bearings and assembled. Running true! I am a happy camper. Now to install on frame. 


Rear Wheel Ready for Rubber!

Well the rear wheel assembly is finally ready for a rim strip, tube, and tire; lots of rubber! All bolts installed on wood pulley. Final holes drilled. 




And a few coats of wood preservative.


Stay tuned for the rubber update! 

Handlebar Sleeves

Spent time tonight preparing the hand grip sleeve components to be welded together. Going to make a few extras. 

Also installed handlebars on tonight! First to ensure handlebar ends have good threads. 


Starting to look like a motorcycle! 

Machine Shop Work Continues

“That should be easy to make”… famous last words! No such thing with this project. This weekend’s shop time was spent making two components for the handgrip sleeves: the end plug with a raised pin attached and the linkage end. 

I have an awesome friend with an excellent shop that has agreed to undertake the CAD design work and use of his machines. So we spent time this past weekend producing these two components. 

Here are the end plugs:


Each piece is machined from round stock, cut off with automatic hacksaw, then finished in a different machine. 

Next was making the linkage ends. 


The final steps will be to weld both ends on in the correct orientation. And so it goes…

Gas Tank Belt Tension Mount

When I obtained this bike the belt tension lever, pulley assembly, tension “gate”, and one mounting block were not on the bike. All parts with the exception of the mounting block were in a separate box (thank God). So a new brass mounting block will need to be made. My expert local machine shop will be tackling making a duplicate as the one on the tank. Then we need to figure out the best adhesive to hold to tank.

Rear Wheel Belt Pulley Install

Well this had been a day I’ve been anxious about for a while: removing original wood pulley and replacing with new one. Simple as it seems it is a complex endevour. The rear wheel has been completed with a new rim and spokes. The nine old brackets are being reused with stainless screws rather than rivets. 


These bracket screws were left a bit loose to allow for removal and installation of the wood pulley. 

We are now ready to remove old pulley. All old pulley to bracket screws were removed. Notice the unique style of the washers under the bolt head. 


Next is pulling old pulley off. 


New pulley slipped over brackets and all rim brackets tightened. 


On to the truing stand to properly position the pulley to ensure it is true to the rim and has no runout. 


Some of the brackets needed some straightening. Once on the rim we still needed to “adjust” some of the brackets to obtain zero vertical runout on the wood. 


Then using a special made jig we clamped to the brackets the proper angle holes could be drilled through the wood from the inside. 


Lastly the holes could be countersunk from the outside. 


Now repeat for the other eight brackets!

Hope to have tire mounted in the coming week. Thanks for reading.